It's a question I've been pondering lately. It really is a deep question with many implications to it. Surely a question so simple should not have an answer so complex. But it does. How does one define oneself in a statement? Be it 200 words or 200 pages, how does a man capture who he is into words?
But I think it is also a freeing question. To imagine we had the attention of all those around us and to know they were truly listening is quite empowering. With this attention, an eloquent man or woman could sway millions. With this attention, wars may be ended and wrongs may be righted. Surely that is a noble thought and one that most any of us would wish for. And yet, I think there is an even greater purpose this question can serve. If a man can answer this question, a man can be free.
With the attention of all, a woman could explain who she really was. With the freedom to speak truly, a man could cast off the chains of doubt, regret, failure, and lies. Speaking ones mind seems to have a freeing and calming power that not many other actions can accomplish. To speak and be not only heard but understood and appreciated as well, that is a gift and a power that can never be taken away.
So think on that. If you had the freedom, what would you tell the world? It's let me put a lot of things in perspective and freed up my mind in several areas. Hopefully it will be helpful for you as well.
As I said, this questions elicits quite the long answer. I'm not completely sure what my answer would be, but I have begun to form a response which I would like to share with you, in part at least. Given the proper stage and opportunity, this is what I'd like to share with the world:
"I am a helper and I am a carer. I am the man you can call at 3 in the morning with whatever problems you have. I am the man who will loan you money or possessions and never ask for them back. I will stay awake, travel any distance, and cancel whatever plans necessary to help out my friends. I am the man who will carry you until I can no longer stand, until I can no longer crawl, and until I can no longer move. I deserve to be treated kindly and thanked for my deeds and dedication, but I know it will not be so.
I will be ridiculed, mocked, taken advantage of, and walked all over by friends and enemies alike, but I will keep my head high and my sights set on my true purpose. I will slip up, I will become upset, and I will sometimes forget to turn the other cheek, but I know my faith in Him will bring me back to the right path. Every time I fall or am knocked over, He will help me rise again to continue on.
I trust and I am loyal. I will take you at your word until you show me your word is no good. I will trust when I should not and I will hurt when I am inevitably wronged. I will hurt, but I will forgive. Everyone deserves a second chance. And a third. And a fourth. And however many it takes until they get it right. I will hurt, but I will not falter. Some would call this trust a fault, but I will not listen. I am here to serve and that is what I will do. Until I have nothing left to give, until I have no time left to be spent, and until I have no energy left to move, I will serve.
I will be tired, I will be physically, emotionally, and spiritually spent, I will be sad at times, I will be lonely at times, and I will be hurt at times, but I will always be content.
Forgive me when I slip up and cheer me when I am sad. Use me. Call on me. Let me carry you when you are weary. For I am a servant, and I would have it no other way."
Matt this is beautiful. I love it. Thanks for the challenge.
ReplyDelete