Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." - - NIV

Earlier this week I was reading the daily devo from My Utmost for His Highest. I didn't completely agree with the author's sentiments so I decided to check out the passage for myself. It was out of 1 Thessalonians chapter 3 but I wanted context so I decided to read all of the book. When I finished, I stood justified that I think he used the verse out of context, but that was about it.

Last night, I was having a real rough night. I just had a lot weighing on my heart and mind. After praying for guidance and strength, I opened my bible. Whenever I don't know what I need, I just open to a random spot and start reading. When I opened, I opened to 1 Thessalonians chapter 5. I wanted to flip somewhere else because I had just read it days previous but, I decided to stick with it. I read and nothing popped out. After about another half an hour, I went to bed. Right before I did, I told God I was confused by what He wanted me to learn and ask for guidance and clarity.

This morning as I was teaching my 3rd-5th graders, I was cutting out our Bible verse memory cards. I hadn't really looked ahead so I didn't know what verse it was. Imagine my surprise to read down and find 1 Thessalonians 5:18. I had read the passage three times before I realized the verse was even there.

So today I am humbled. I thank God for His wisdom and pray for strength to be joyful. It's been rough lately, but it just shows me how much I need Him.

"Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live." - - The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment