Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Close... So very, very close...

I was literally seconds from falling asleep and I remembered my promise. I tried rationalizing not blogging, even though I promised myself I would. Eventually, I remembered one of the things God has me working on is discipline so, here I am (albeit begrudgingly).

This week is Summit week at school. This means the same speaker gives six different messages in three days. I really like our speaker this year. She is real, honest, open, engaging, and on fire with God. Tonight she shared about two tough experiences in her life this past year. One was going to Mother Theresa's "house" in Calcutta and doing nothing but laundry the whole time (while she was sick and in 120 degree weather which made the experience even worse). She could not understand why, with all of the problems going on right outside the door, God had called her to do laundry (without a machine). She felt there was so much more she could do for the people in the city, but that is not where she was being called.

The second instance was this spring. Her mother was very sick and there was nothing the doctors could do. There was nothing she could do for her mother. She fought and she argued and got angry at God, but her mother still died. And it was in those two moments she had a choice. She could become angry at God for "cheating" her and keeping her in the dark. She could become embittered by the injustices of the world. Or, she could accept God's will and seek His plan for her life, even if she did not know what it was. She chose the latter and I hope and pray, when faced with a similar choice, I will be able to do the same. She had a quote tonight I really liked so that is what I will leave you with.

In the midst of these two events, this was her decision:

"You are God. I am not. You know Your plans for me. I don't. But I'll choose to follow you anyway, for Your ways are higher than my ways."

No comments:

Post a Comment