I got an unexpected gift from God today. The past two days I have been on duty. This means I am "trapped" in my dorm from 7 p.m to 7 a.m. During that time, I go around talking with people and just hanging out. This weekend the dorm was surprisingly empty. I spent most of my time in my room. Alone. It was good in the sense that I got to practice a lot of guitar (about three hours) and finished some homework, but the extrovert side of me was not very happy.
I really needed quality time with someone. My friends all had plans. Plans that didn't involve staying in South Hall, thereby excluding me (albeit not purposefully). So at 6 p.m I decided it would probably be a good idea to eat something. I went to the student center and the line for Mario's was ridiculously long and Wildcat was already closed. I decided to try to make it to Baldwin but no such luck there either. I decided just to head back to South and eat a wonderful meal of Ramen. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw someone who I knew so I turned to look. At the same time, Andrew Hanna turned to look at me.
Andrew and I worked together as R.A's last year. He is a really solid Christian guy and I really like him a lot. I didn't allow myself to get close to him last year which I regret, but I had seen him earlier in the semester and had a desire to sit and talk with him at some point. He was in the same boat I was on the food situation so he invited me to dinner at Mario's with him. While in line, we got to talk about our summers and how the semester is shaping up as far as classes go. Then I got to hear about his relationship and it was exciting but definitely struck a chord.
We sat and talked for an hour and I got to share the current events in my life, how God is working in me, and what I have been struggling with recently. All in all, it was a great heart to heart and just what I needed (even though I didn't know it's what I needed until afterwards). To top it all off, Andrew invited me to join a small group bible study that he attends/runs. I'm super excited about it and feel God is going to use it to do great things in my life. As I was thinking about this, a passage came to mind. I'll leave it as my parting thought for the night.
Matthew 7:11 "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him?" (And even when we don't ask Him!)
No comments:
Post a Comment