Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Where have all the good times gone?

So, I just went through and counted and I'm somehow six days behind. Not sure where the time went, but I've been thinking about enough I'm sure I can fill in the void.

This year, I finally talked myself out of talking myself out of trying out for University Singers. For whatever reason, the past four years I haven't let myself do it (probably fear of rejection/failure). Anyway, I tried out and am now a tenor. It has been tons of fun. The teacher is really cooky, but I like him a lot. His teaching methods are much different than any other choir director I have sung under. He likes to just dive into the music and let us work it out as we go along. It has taken some getting used to, but I can appreciate it because I realize how much better it is making me. A lot of people don't share my optimism.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people aren't understanding of others. I think the place it comes out the most is at restaurants. People are terrible to their servers. The job is terrible enough anyway, it doesn't pay super well, and they have to deal with ungrateful people all day. One more poor attitude isn't needed. As I've been in college though, I've realized that it happens a lot with teachers as well. And usually (but not always) people's attitudes are soured because the teacher isn't using methods they are used to. Heaven forbid students would have to put forth any effort in order to learn.

I was very guilty of that my freshman year but God really convicted me at it and I've come to see it in a different light. Everyone is different. Teaching and learning styles can be highly variable as life goes on and locations are changed. College, with all of its different professors (and really, they are only professors: it's not their job to teach you, just to "profess" the information so you can process and run with it) and students is a great place to get accustomed to dealing with these differences. I just wish people would take a step back and learn to see things through the eyes of others. Our world would be a much nicer place if they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment