Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I know what I want... right?

Around the fourth of July, a lot of people from work were planning on going to a firework show somewhere (there were several around the Marion area to choose from). We talked about it during meals and we all expressed how excited we were to go. Come the night of the festivities, one of my friends who was supposed to be on call (a.k.a wasn't allowed to be more than five minutes from campus) asked if I would cover for them so they could go watch fireworks. I was a little upset for two reasons:

1. No one had invited me to go.
2. She knew how much I wanted to go and she still asked me to stay behind.

I am not one to tell people no so I begrudgingly agreed. Part of the reason was because Emily wasn't able to go because she had family coming so we were going to go out with them. After dinner, I was planning on just hanging out with Emily and watching a movie or something. However, I got a call from work saying they needed extra people to come in and drive golf carts (see post below). So, not only did I not get to see fireworks, I didn't get to hang out with Emily either AND I didn't have a working phone so I couldn't even text Emily while I was waiting for passengers.

Needless to say, I was frustrated and in a terrible mood. The night proved to be a lot of waiting around; not many people were out and about because it was supposed to storm. The lack of passengers gave me time to sit and think and voice my frustrations to God. I was feeling better after a while, but still upset about the fireworks. Then the storm started. There wasn't much rain, but the lightening was spectacular. I have never seen such big, bright, and beautiful lightening in my life.

I thought I knew what I wanted: time with friends and pretty fireworks. Instead I got time to reflect and a my own lightening show. God knew what my soul needed, even when I didn't. I was asking for bread, and, in return, God gave me a steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment