As humans, it is super easy to complain when things aren't going our way. Today the rugby team played the 8th ranked Division III team in the nation. We lost 22-7. The score, however, is not really telling of how the game went. It would have been conceivable for us to have reversed that score. Our team played super well and just caught a few bad breaks. It was still a great game, but there's always some disappointment accompanying a loss. It was worse for me because I didn't even get to play.
I'm not saying I'm the best rugby player out there (I'm nowhere near that conceited), but I am one of the better players on the team. This has nothing to do with me at all, I just happen to have more athletic experience than most of the guys (thank you, tiny, tiny high schools). I also have more rugby experience (a whole three or four games) than most of the team. It's not much, but it does help. And it wasn't just me out, three of our other veteran players are injured as well. It's hard to think that we would have lost if all of us were healthy.
So I had a little bit of a bitter attitude today, not towards anyone specifically, just at my predicament in general. But then I got to thinking about my medical history. I have a pretty good immune system. I only ever get sick once or twice every few years. I've also got a pretty sturdy body. I'm a pretty physical person. I enjoy wrestling and football and rugby. With as physical as I am, it's no surprise that I often get "hurt." However, I can count the "life-altering" (i.e I couldn't operate normally or at least well enough to seem okay) injuries I've had on one hand.
The first was senior year of high school. I don't like counting this one but it's the only one I've gone to the hospital for. I suppose that's worth something. I was at a track meet and I got hit in the temple with a shot put. I went down but was completely fine. I still had to ride the ambulance to the hospital, get x-rays, and left with a band-aid. Most expensive band-aid ever. (Not really, it was only $2.00 but the whole trip was $600). I don't think I have any lasting side effects, but I've heard head trauma can be tricky, so who knows...
The second was my freshmen year at IWU. We were playing Frisbee in the gyms and I jumped off the wall to jump over a girl who fell in front of me. I landed with my ankle completely sideways. First sprained ankle ever. I wore a brace for a week or two, but then I was fine.
The third one was yesterday and it's fairly similar to the second. I sprained my ankle pretty badly in rugby practice. I can still walk on it, but it's easily the worst injury I've ever had. I had to sit out our game today and will probably miss the one next weekend as well. Even worse, I may have to miss Ultimate two weeks in a row :-S.
But, as I was thinking about it, I realized just how fortunate I am. I've only had three "bad" injuries. The worst of them caused me to limp for a week or two. There are people who spend every day in wheel chairs. Others have to get allergy shots once a month, or carry around inhalers at all times. How silly of me is it to be so upset over something so temporary?
So now, I praise God for my great health. I am far more fortunate than most, and I never give credit where credit is due. Hopefully I can do better from now on.
No comments:
Post a Comment