Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How are you?

I think that's a question many people ask but never really want the answer to. It has just become another form of "hello." I know I am guilty of it. Of course, with my "close" friends I mean it, but not to the random people walking around campus.

And what about the way we answer the question? We know that (in most cases) the person doesn't really care, they are just trying to be polite. A few weeks ago I found out that my sister is having problems again, my aunt's breast cancer is back, God and I were fighting back and forth, and I was still dealing with emotions from my breakup and people kept asking me how I was doing. Why on earth would I want to give them the real answer? Of course I simply replied, "Not too bad. How are you?" So not a lie, but nowhere near the truth.

God really convicted me of that this week and so I'm striving to do better. It's only come up a couple of times, but God has blessed me through people's reactions. They were not only supportive, but genuinely so. It was a good lift to an otherwise awful week.

So, if I see you around and ask how you are, know that I truly mean it. If you ask the same and you think I'm dodging you, please, don't let me get away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment