A lot of non-Christians I know complain that choosing to believe in God has no benefits (obviously, it's hard to point out what the benefits actually are unless they acknowledge the existence of Heaven and Hell). So, it's something I tend to think about intermittently. The other day I was watching a movie and I think I found another reason. Being a Christian allows us to enjoy movies (and books or really any work of fiction) on an entirely different level then non-Christians.
For example, J.R.R Tolkien's books (and the movies based on them) are some of the most critically acclaimed works of fiction in our present time. As a human being, I can enjoy them on the same level as everyone else. As a Christian, I get to experience a whole new level of enjoyment. I just recently finished a devotional book entitled "Walking with Frodo." The book used passages and experiences from Tolkien's works to teach us something about our Christian lives. How cool is that? John Eldridge, one of my new favorite authors, veritably douses his works with liberal amounts of fiction.
I know the examples I just provided were Christian ones, but, I think this principle can be extended to all works of fiction. I have two such examples I would like to share with you.... In separate posts...
No comments:
Post a Comment