Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ryan Reynolds

I'm still not sure how I feel about him. I did, however, enjoy his latest movie "Green Lantern." Again, without giving away anything important, an alien race harnessed the most powerful force in the universe: Will. Will's power was harnessed into (I think it was 3600) rings. These rings, using the power of Will, are able to create anything their chosen wearers can imagine. The stronger the wielder's will, the stronger the construct becomes.

As in all hero movies, comics, books, etc... there is of course an opposing force. Fear (makes a lot of sense doesn't it?). At a particular point in the movie, our hero is inches from being destroyed by fear incarnate. The only thing standing between them is a shield of pure will. So how does the villain try to destroy our hero? By causing him to doubt himself (fear that he's not good enough). It seems to be working well. However, just inches from death, our hero begins reciting the creed of the Corp (the group of ring wearers is called the Green Lantern Corp). As he's reciting the creed, he finds new strength and drives fear back.

How true is this as Christians? I think one of Satan's biggest ploys is to isolate us. If he can separate us from our support, he can destroy us or, in the very least, incapacitate us. We are fortunate to have ammunition similar to that of Reynolds' character. The Apostle's Creed immediately comes to mind. And this ammunition helps us for several reasons. I'd like to go into two.

The first is that it firms our resolve, strengthens our will. In the act of reciting what we believe, we are reminded of our purpose. Secondly, it reminds us we're not alone. Those saints who have come before us and all believers who will come after all join in the same faith. There is power in words and even more power in a shared statement of faith. So, the next time you feel alone and incapable, find something (the Apostle's Creed is a good start, but there are many other great statements out there) to verbally remind you that you're wrong. All believers are connected by our Heavenly Father. No matter what lies you're told, this will always be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment