I've been having a little bit of a hard time lately being able to rejoice with my friends in their relationships. I have four or five friends that started dating about the same time Emily and I did. It's really good to see them all together and to see their love (or like, however they are most comfortable describing it) displayed on Facebook. It's also been good to see two of the guys on staff with me get engaged. However, I often catch myself becoming bitter towards them. And I never want to do that.
First of all, I know they are not doing it intentionally. None of them come up to me and rub their relationship in my face. Second of all, I am genuinely happy for them. It's good to see how God is moving in their lives, both individually and as couples. It also does my heart good to see my friends happy. It's just so hard sometimes to remember to be joyful for others, even as we lament our own situation.
Which brings up another good point. My teacher in marriage and family pointed out something that I knew before but lost somewhere along the way. Dating (and marriage) is a gift from God. That doesn't mean singleness isn't as well. There are things God can do through us while we're single that He can't (well, as easily I guess) do through us if we're dating. There are also things that must be learned as a single person.
So, I'll try to be better about it. It's just tough sometimes. So Mike, Bethany, Evelyn, Aaron, Aaron, Gabe, Felicia, Andrew, Jana, Dan, Erin, and Becca: I really am happy for all of you. I'm sorry if I've ever made you think otherwise. It's good for me to see you happy in relationships, even while it's hard at times. Thank you for letting me rejoice with you. And also, thank you to those of you who have sat and cried with me. It means a lot to be with a body of believers and friends like you.
Haha, I started crying as I typed this.
:)
ReplyDeleteMatt, you are a good, good guy.